Sunday, October 5, 2008

New Deck+TERMITES!!!=sucking force like a black hole on your savings account

So my dad has been so gracious to help me build a deck onto our house. We started two Saturdays ago on this beast. Well its not really a beast in regards to size, but oh let me stop right now and throw out a bit of advice ... if you are thinking of constructing something that requires putting posts in the ground either

A)pay to have them dug or B)rent a post hole digger thats automated in some fashion.

We used a two-man that we had to work down into the ground and back out. It was an extreme workout, but I guess since Im a desk jockey this type of manual labor affects me more than it should. The deck when complete will be really nice, it will wrap around from the back to the side door for easy access, and I have this vision of a hamock somewhere :)

OK so on the side of our house next to our driveway, the previous owners made the worst decision in landscaping/edging history and decided to use railroad ties. So ya you know where this is going, the wife and I have been wanting to tear out the ties for a few years anyways, so I rip the first couple out and nothing wierd a few millipedes that gave me the heeby jeebies but nothing crazy. Work my way further around to the front and rip two more up and much to my shock were these nasty little white things roaming about. A quick trip online to google images and yeap ... termites. So Im thinking flipping great how bad is this gonna get. Called the Orkin guy and after a free inspection it would appear that visually(from what you can see) the inside of the house is ok at this point. However the initial quote we recieved was just under $1500. I just about poo'ed myself.

I just hope these little devastators of wood can hold off from starting to eat at our house now that I ripped out their food supply. Hmmm .. maybe I should have left a few in o.O




No comments: