Tuesday, December 23, 2008

One more day!!!

Oooooh Christmas time, I can not believe that it is upon us already. It seems like just yesterday my dad and I were working ourselves to death in the back yard on our deck.

And what is up with the crazy weather?!!?? Two Sundays ago we walk out to the van to head to church and the temp read 51 degrees. In a matter of 15 minutes it had dropped to 37 and by the time service was over it was a balmy 17 degrees. Hahaha got to love Iowa weather.

I have a newfound love for Christmas this year ... thank you Jesus. In the past it has been almost a chore and not even really enjoyable. Filled with stressfull shopping and anticipation/ill thoughts of the multiple trips to the parents(times 3), two more Christmas gatherings some years for my divorced grandparents, and on top of that hauling of WAY TO MUCH stuff back home.

So whats different about this year over the rest? Simple, the miracle of Gods love for us through His most special gift ... Jesus.

I have heard the "story" hundreds of times and as I have believed for so many years, the words have transformed to something so much more, of a precious baby Jesus that was given to us as the greatest sacrifice we will ever know.

The story is absolutely amazing to consider the people involved and what they had to have gone through - physically, mentally, and emotionally. I mean lets just take Mary and Joseph for the sake of me not writing till my fingers bleed and you stop reading this to check out the latest item on woot.com. So heres this dude who see's this hottie going back and forth to the well or tending a field or whatever they did in that time, probably pays some crazy dowry for Mary's hand, and between the time they are "engaged" and the ceremony/consemation of their marriage happens the Holy Spirit swoops down and BLAMO! Mary is prego, bun in the oven, etc. OK so ya thats wierd, but what about Mary!!!

Imagine her sitting down taking a break and the angel Gabriel presents before her and exclaims she is carrying the Son of God. I can not imagine what these two went through ... people are no more synical now than they where then. So my guess is A) people thought she was a tramp or B) that her and Joseph came togethor before being wed. Both being EXTREMELY scandalis for that day and age.

Then you have Joseph ... by the way I think Joseph has to be one of the most honerable dudes in history. He could have said she was nuts, said forget this chick, and found another to marry. He could have joined in with the rest of the village and stoned her for committing adultry. NO! He listened to the almighty God, said to heck with my reputation and did whatever God told him to do. They both did ... said forget my reputation, listened to God, and followed His instruction in their lives.

Speed forward nine months to the birth of Jesus or the night of rather. Oh to have been one of the shepards in the fields that night to have seen the spectacular event
spewing forth from the heavens. Some of you that read this may have been lucky enough in your lives to have experienced the Aurora Borealis/northern lights ... thats beautiful and all, but angels and oodles of heavenly hosts singing, praising, and worshiping Jesus as He is born? I just cant imagine what it was like to experience that.

So ya ... when I think about Christmas this year, its different ... way different. Its not stressfull, not a chore, but a really cool time that I can get with my family, bless others with gifts, and let the reality of the most blessed gift ever given really soak into my life.

I wish you and your family a most Blessed, loving, beautiful Christmas ever!

No comments: